Levins Tax Law
Schedule your initial consultation:

Experienced and Trusted
Representation From A Tax
Attorney And Former IRS Agent
And "BIG 4" Tax Partner

Photo of Attorney Gerard J. Levins

What to do if you receive notice of delinquent tax return

On Behalf of | Jul 29, 2020 | Uncategorized

Anytime you receive a letter from the IRS you feel your stomach drop. This initial anxiety can turn to panic if the IRS is informing you of a delinquent tax return. However, it’s important to take a breath. Receiving this type of notice does not mean the end of the world. There are some steps you can take to help resolve this type of issue.

Understanding a CP516 notice

When the IRS has concerns about delinquent tax returns, it will send the taxpayer a CP516 notice. This notice simply states that the IRS doesn’t have a record of a recent tax return on file. You might have been in a position where you didn’t have to file the return in question. If so, you can contact the IRS and explain to them why you were exempt from filing a tax return that year.

If you were intending to file the return in question, but were delayed in doing so, you can inform the IRS that you will be supplying them with your tax return shortly. This may help avoid some of the most serious consequences of failing to file a return.

Sometimes, the IRS simply makes a mistake. That’s why it’s important to hold onto your past tax returns. Then you can simply provide the IRS with documentation that you, in fact, filed a return for the year in question.

IRS notices and the steps for resolving questions can be complex and confusing. If you have any doubt about how to properly handle a tax controversy, you should meet with a skilled legal professional to discuss the best options for moving forward.


FindLaw Network